What is the GDPR?
The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is a new EU Regulation which will replace the 1995 EU Data Protection Directive (DPD) to significantly enhance the protection of the personal data of EU citizens and increase the obligations on organizations who collect or process personal data. It will come into force on 25th May 2018. The full text of the GDPR can be found here.
Does the GDPR apply to me?
While the current EU legislation (the 1995 EU Data Protection Directive) governs entities within the EU, the territorial scope of the GDPR is far wider in that it will also apply to non-EU businesses who a) market their products to people in the EU or who b) monitor the behaviour of people in the EU. In other words, even if you’re based outside of the EU but you control or process the data of EU citizens, the GDPR will apply to you.
The changes within Chaport
We’ve added new features to our product to help ensure that your use of Chaport is compliant with GDPR:
- Chats Deletion / Export
- Account Deletion / Export
- Legal Text in Widget
- Marketing Permission Request
- Data Processing Addendum (DPA)
- GDPR-friendly Legal Documents
What you need to do
If the GDPR applies to your company, there are few things you need to do:
- If your company is located in the EU, you can sign a Data Processing Addendum (DPA) with us.
- You can also add a legal text to the chat widget that will inform your visitors how you process their personal data, provided via chat.
- You have to request marketing permission if you want to use visitors’ email addresses for marketing purposes.
Please read our article to get more details on what you need to do to become GDPR compliant with Chaport.